By Lisa Meister
Our mind is a record player. It will play the same recording over and over until we choose to stop it. This can be good or bad, depending on what you choose to play.
Everything negative that we believe about ourselves is firmly grooved in a bad record. The thoughts will play:
I am a failure.
I am rejected.
Nobody really loves me.
Nobody understands me.
I can’t do anything right.
What’s the point of life?
Everyone has them. The problem is air time when we are at our most vulnerable, like at night or when we are alone with our thoughts. Depression can seep in and take over.
The good news is that the record player of your mind is controlled by you. You can break the record and make a new one. It takes determination and retraining, but it can be done. Let me show you how.
- Find out what the Bible has to say about you. God’s Word is true so you can trust it. He knows you better than you do. As a Christian, you are a God’s child and therefore have all the characteristics that you need to live your life in victory and hope. Write the ones out that speak to you and make sure you put them around your house where you can see them and read them daily. Here are some good ones to start with.
- Philippians 4: 31 I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
- Psalm 27: 13-14 I would have fainted, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen thine heart. Wait, I say, on the Lord!
- Isaiah 40: 31 But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.
- Psalm 91: 15-16 He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him, and show him My salvation.
- Understand that the negative messages are not from man. Regardless of who said these words to you in the first place or what situations caused you to come up with them, ultimately the enemy is behind them. Therefore, they are lies! That is good news. You don’t have to play them anymore.
- When you realize the negative records are playing, call them lies and switch to the Scriptures from above or the ones that speak to your situation.
“But I don’t have the energy!” This one is a hard one, but it is actually another lie. When we are counting the energy something is going to take to pull off, the energy is actually going into the mathematical calculations your mind is doing in figuring that out. No matter who you are, I guarantee you that if you are still in the land of the living you have the energy to fight. The enemy can talk us out of the very things that bring a breakthrough with this devious lie.
You can do this because God is empowering you to do it. Pray and ask God to help you with this. Get your family members of friends involved. Do whatever it takes.
When this is accomplished, it’s time for the new records. Those are waiting for you to record. Fill your mind with the Words of God, with positive dreams, reliving good times with friends or just taking time to soak in the beauty of the world God has taken the time to lovingly create for you. You will find that there are so many wonderful things to think about and plan for and you will find your thoughts rejuvenating instead of causing depression.
Always remember that God is good and has the fruits of the Spirit waiting for you to claim. Peace will come when you are playing the right records.
What record are you playing?